Bus Operator Fixed Route (part-time)
Posted on 04/30/2021Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority - Des Moines, IA 50309
$19.98 per year Part Time
The Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority (DART), the largest public transit agency in Iowa, is hiring for Fixed Route Bus Operators (20-29 hours per week).
Applicants with CDL license or CDL permits with Air Brake and Passenger Endorsements preferred. Must have customer service experience.
The right candidates will have excellent work history, ability to communicate clearly and effectively, and the desire to work with people. Full-time expected in 6-12 months!
Due to the nature of services, this position requires a flexible schedule which may include split shifts, nights, and weekends.
What do we offer?
- Health Insurance
- Dental Coverage
- Group Life Insurance
- Deferred Compensation Plan
- I.P.E.R.S. Retirement System
- Long Term Disability
Fixed Route Operators Job Summary: To operate assigned diesel and gasoline powered buses and variety of DART vehicles safely and effectively; to follow established company policies and procedures regarding the transportation of passengers, vehicle safety and appearance and the reporting of mechanical, traffic or behavioral problems encountered; to assist passengers with physical disabilities; to maintain positive public relations with the passengers in the provision of ongoing transportation services.
- Signing in on time, locate your assigned bus in the garage and set all route signs.
- Inspect the bus and perform necessary vehicle checks (tires, gas, oil, lights, etc.)
- Report equipment malfunctions to appropriate shop personnel for correction.
- Collect fares
- Regulate heating, cooling and ventilation systems for passenger comfort.
- Report delays, breakdowns, and accidents using two-way radio.
- Submit written reports of all accidents involving his/her bus.
- Must comply with all local traffic regulations.
- 21 years of age or older
- Must possess a High School Diploma/GED or equivalent.
- Possess (or be able to earn) a valid Iowa CDL with Air Brake and Passenger endorsements.
- Physical exam is required.
- Must maintain driver insurability standards.
- Job related experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of city, suburbs and county streets and landmarks is essential.
Please login to apply for this job.